Rare geology book, Rogers, Henry D. Report of the Geological Survey of the State of New Jersey. 2nd ed., Philadelphia, DeSilver, Thomas & Co., 1836.
Item Number: Book 679-C
Rogers, Henry D. Report of the Geological Survey of the State of New Jersey. 2nd ed., Philadelphia, DeSilver, Thomas & Co., 1836. Octavo, pp. 188, folded hand-colored section.
In original blue title wraps, archivally restored and re-backed, folded section archivally restored with lose of 2" by 4.25" piece at first fold, light foxing to text with brown mark resulting from old newsprint between two leafs, good+.
FREE SHIPPING ON ALL ITEMS
Rogers (1808-1866) was an American geologist educated at Glasgow. He was originally the director of the New Jersey Geological Survey before becoming director of the first Geological Survey of Pennsylvania where he undertook the first comprehensive geological survey of that state. Based on studies in the Appalachians with his brother William Rogers, he formulated a theory on mountain building which was presented to the first session of the Association of American Geologist and Naturalists in 1840. He saw the Appalachians as great folds of sedimentary rock. Rogers was one of the first American geologists to be accepted by the European scientific community. The two brothers were instrumental in the founding of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1865. As the first State Geologist of New Jersey; his position often caused conflict with his position in Pennsylvania. He was not provided funds for any assistants and conpleted the first survey on his own. The plan of the first survey was to lay down five lines (geologic sections) across the State so as to cross all of the strata or formations. These lines are shown on the folded section. The first crossed Bergen and Sussex counties. The second went from the shoreline in Monmouth to the Delaware Water Gap. The third extended from Easton to the shoreline at Barnegat. The fourth from the Delaware River at Camden to the shore at Leeds Point. The final crossed Salem, Cumberland and Cape May Counties. The first edition of the work was also published in 1836 and contained 174 pages. It did not include the hand-colored section and lacked the glossary. The hand-colored map (dated 1839) did not appear until the 1840 edition of the work.